Wednesday, July 25, 2012

In the Studio



My studio is a pretty humble space one year post grad school.  Its in our place and probably a bit too small-- but I am a little reluctant to find another space not only for the finances of it, but good things have been going on here and I think it is because I work amid my subject matter.


Below is my most recent and probably most successful (in my eyes) piece post PAFA.  It is 36 x 48 and has been about 6 months of constant working and re-working.  I am happy with a few things about it.


First, I got the chance to work from memory and life -- a painting of two friends who frequently plop down on my couch a floor below.  I could reference my memory of those nights and run down a flight to actually see the space.

Second, I got to work my blacks and darkness/lamp light.  This is something I've been trying to work on for a while.  The picture doesn't show much but I think the depth and variety of darks are working.


I've also been able to work in some textiles and patterning and this idea of a really tight flat area of paint in contrast to my typical brushy way of working -- something which aids the viewing of the painting and also my  desire to paint what I remember of this memory most clearly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment